Monday, May 28, 2007

Of Races

1 Corinthians 9:24-27
Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one gets the prize? Run in such a way as to get the prize. Everyone who competes in the games goes into strict training. They do it to get a crown that will not last; but we do it to get a crown that will last forever. Therefore I do not run like a man running aimlessly; I do not fight like a man beating the air. No, I beat my body and make it my slave so that after I have preached to others, I myself will not be disqualified for the prize.

As all of you know, I love running, especially in long, gruesome races such as AHM and Standard Chartered. Running such races requires lots and lots of preparation. I have gone thru tough training programmes during my preparation for my races. Not training well enough can result in a poor race or even injures on race day.

Christians also run a race. We are running towards the day we meet Jesus and the heavenly rewards. The training comes from our prayer, going deep into the Word, and worship. And these are the very training programme that we need to adhere to ensure we run the race well.

My main motivation when I run are the flashback moments of me crossing the finish line, with the crowd cheering and seeing a new personal best timing on the clock.

The same goes in our spiritual run. Keep the God and his heavenly inheritance for you in mind and perservere on in the training!

No comments: