Saturday, April 14, 2007

Of Distractions and Excuses

2 Corinthians 11:3
But I am afraid that just as Eve was deceived by the serpent’s cunning, your minds may somehow be led astray from your sincere and pure devotion in Christ.

The Lord led me to this passage and it presents a problem in many christians today- distractions.
As easy as naming the goodness of spending quiet time with God, we can also give a long list of things we can do other than quiet time. Endless work, television, internet, tiredness, procrastination, laziness, and the I-will-do-it-before-I-sleep mentality, which I myself is guilty of sometimes (very often, it would end up like an eight-hour prayer when you will say “amen” when you wake up)

Pastor Seng Lee emphasized not long ago regarding the importance of spending time with God and I, we, need to repent if we have been giving discounts on our time, giving excuses, distracted by a million other things.

I was on guard duty on Sunday 2 weeks back and caught up on the sermon via the video (which is really really cool! It is a also a good way to revise and reexperience the sermon once again). Pastor Melvyn said in his sermon of "Sow What?" that we reap what we sow, we reap AFTER we sow and we reap MORE than we sow.

Rid all distractions, stop giving excuses, and press on, and we shall reap what we sow!- a closer relationship with God, a more sensitive ear to the Holy Spirit, more insight and knowledge on the Word of God and the list goes on and on...

Have you done your Quiet Time today?
God is waiting for you.

No comments: