Saturday, April 28, 2007

Too rich?

It's been a long time since I last posted anything. So here goes...

I just watched a film fest show recently. Normally I wouldn't have the time nor money to watch any since I realised that I tend to splurge a lot on the movies. Anyway, I had to catch this show as it was the short film which I worked on a year ago. (Finally it's on the big screen! I will get the DVD to show you guys..it's beautiful) Some more my director sponsored my ticket so it was hard to say no.

I was quite excited to see the fruit of my labour - your dream coming alive. But I will leave that story for another day. What caught me was the second movie which was actually "bundled" with my show. It was called Aki Ra's boys.

It's a simple documentary about young boys in Cambodia who lost their limbs to the millions of mines and bombs still lying around in the land. A simple story of hope in spite of adversity and how they were able to live normal and purposeful lives.

I reflected upon this show and something that really struck me was the simplicity of the lifestyle of these children. They had simple lives and seemingly more purposeful than others as they served to educate the public about the mine-ridden history of Cambodia and also help remove the mines still lying around.

Suddenly the story of the rich young man came to mind.

Matthew 19: 23 Then Jesus said to his disciples, "I tell you the truth, it is hard for a rich man to enter the kingdom of heaven.

Very often I lament on the fact that I am poor. I don't have the luxury of getting cool toys, getting good looking shoes and bags and shirts and stuff. I still want my apple MBP, my dslr, my asics, get a flat, a car, etc.

Until I saw that these things doesn't matter for eternity. I did not see how rich I already am. I am borned in Singapore, I have a roof over my head, I have a good education. I get 3 meals a day and I don't worry about the daily necessities. I have 2 legs and 2 good hands. I am probably more blessed than millions of people out there.

Probably, I can be considered like the rich young man back in Jesus' days. Do you know that our modern lifestyle is probably much more luxurious and comfortable than kings and rich men. We are many times richer than them perhaps.

Am I willing to give up all these comforts? To follow Jesus.

Will I trust God to provide for me and to bless others in spite of my apparent "poorness"?

Tough questions which is probably easy to say yes but you end up living a life of "no".

Yet we know there is only 1 way.

God help us to follow You and not the comforts of this world.

No comments: